uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Bush / Coastdog Adventures and More!

Forums

Forum Home > Special Events > Winter Blues Contest

bc
Site Owner

Yay! A Contest!

As you may or may not be aware, Gerald from X-Hangar has been toiling away building the long-awaited and highly anticipated Noorduyn Norseman - a bush plane that is arguably every bit as good (or even better) than the Beaver. Not as many flying in the RW for sure, but older by at least 10 years.

He is getting close, by the looks of things.

During conversation with Mr. Rader, he had asked if there was anything that we might really find useful to be incorporated into the model as he was building it.

The yoke board (kneeboard) like seen in the Twin Otter was a rather nice thing to have, as it allowed the modding of the 'face' of it to include such things as nav comms for EPOCH hubs, copilot pictures etc. :)

He said sure, and went ahead, with an added twist, which you can discover for yourself.

Here's The Contest:

Look at the thread at his site (you will need a free membership to view it). Click this sentence to go there.

Read about the development of the Norseman and see what I am saying about the board on the yoke.

Design a useful, clever, lovely or otherwise "PNG"** picture that can be 'pasted' onto the board so we have it in front of us during flight.

If your submission is chosen (by our judge, which in this case shall be bc) you will win one of the first Norseman aircraft out of the production plant, as EPOCH is a launch customer, with orders for 5 (soon to be 6) already placed.

Your submission must be sized to 310 wide x 510 tall and still be lovely when sized to 300 wide x 500 tall.

If you want to test it "in-sim" then merely follow the Twin Otter Toolkit process (found in the package in Downloads) and put it in your Twin Otter and take a look.

I am looking for Utility, Creativity and/or Beauty. In no particular order.

Contest closes the very day that the Norseman is released by X-Hangar, so keep an eye over there at www.X-Hangar.com

May the best artist win :D

bc

** Portable Network Graphic - picture file format, not Papua New Guinea :P

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

January 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Why, I can think of nothing finer than the avatar pic that accompanies this very post, it being the venerable Norseman, itself !    What else would you want to look at on a long, boring flight?    :D

On a serious note, it would be cool to have the X-Hangar model available in a yellow/white/black livery as shown (which is Ingram's Air "Spirit of the Kenai"), but with our EPOCH logo.  That paint job is just so classic-looking.  

--

"Fly the wing"

January 6, 2015 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Agreed. That livery is rather classic, and different than the standard one that X-Hangar has gifted us with on every build.

A recommendation then. When the craft comes out, put out a request to this community and see if anyone would be willing. We do have a number of Class A painters around here to be sure.

bc

--

January 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bminton

Hey bc, Gerald posted on his site in the Update section that the kneeboard size for the Norseman is larger than the Twin Otter.  He posted the size as 310 x 510.

January 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Dang. I wish I would have seen that.

Alright - so that's the working dimension. I shall change the original post.

Thank you sir,

bc

--

January 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.