EPOCH Alaska Air : Official Airline of the Aurora Borealis

uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Apps and More!

Forums

Forum Home > 2016 Vacation - Burning Man > Day 2 Vacation 2016

bc
Site Owner

Introduction:

Hello there, Burner Pilots. Now that you're at Burning Man and it's a new day, how about a bit of fun?

There are several gliders that have been trucked in for a friendly flying competition, along with a couple of glider tows. Quite a course too, if I might say so (having flown and tweaked the settings for 'game balance') :P

There are also a whole host of BRC volunteers that would sure love to see how the 'city' is coming along and would be so very appreciative of a gifted quick sightsee from the air.

Are you game for it?

Part 1:

Let's start with a sightseeing flight, shall we?

There are 2 key things that you need to perform prior to hopping in your GA aircraft and taking some fine folks up for a look.

1. Once again, review the video in detail that is included in your package (in the Maps_Docs folder). It is the key to successfully performing a sightseeing course at Black Rock City and requires careful management of your aircraft as well as a keen eye to the details below, which can be hard to see as the lakebed (desert) blends with the pentagon ring road, which is the road that you must not go inside of during the tour. Nor can you stray far from it as you will get in the way of arrivals and departures. It is handy to have the scenery loaded and zoom back out from your aircraft so you can see the whole area and then play the video in a window, comparing what the video shows with what you are seeing in your sim.

2. If you haven't already (as suggested in the Day 1 stuff above, please load and review the Burning Man Airport material, which is full of interesting material that will help with your continued immersion in your simulation. You might even learn some things, as it is very comprehensive!

The Flight

1. Load your aircraft with all seats filled and 1 hour of fuel. Make sure you calculate weight properly for the number of pax @ 180 lbs/person.

2. Make sure you have loaded Real Metar weather and are certain about the departure end of the correct runway (only the runway to the 'right' - there are taxi signs showing you the way.

3. Set your time to anything, as long as it is daylight (no flying BRC in the dark as per rules).

4. Remember to think about/calculate density altitude. The field is at almost 4,000 feet ASL and if it is also really hot, well, you know! You just might not get your loaded 172 off of the ground!

5. Depart, fly the tour circuit at least once and follow all procedures to return to the airport. Release your passengers at Gate Two and proceed to the tie-down area.

Part 2:

Well, the flightsee was fun for all I'm sure, but lets turn the heat up a bit and really burn!!!

First of all, how about choosing your favourite glider. There are sure quite a number to choose from - default (included ASK 21), freeware from the Org Downloads and even Payware!

Secondly, you know what the active runway is for departures and wind, as you flew the flightsee hop, so position yourself there with your 'glider tow' aircraft. The "situation" for a glider tow is covered in the X-Plane manual and is really rather easy, so I shan't repeat it here.

but first....

You have to go into Menu/Environment/Weather and set up your Thermals for this adventure. Here are the settings I'd like you to use please:

Weather: Real Metar (thought I would remind you again :) )

Thermal Tops = 6,000'

Thermal Coverage = 45%

Thermal Climb Rate = 750' per minute.

So, where to go and what makes this a comp? Check this map snippet out from Skyvector-

You can do the 'Triangle' in any direction as long as you complete all 3 legs. Note that Granite Peak to the west is 9,000 feet high.

You do not have to stay on the track shown - your 3 checkpoints are, after departure from Black Rock City Airport:

Empire (fly directly over the airport)

Granite Peak (fly directly over the peak)

and then BRC Airport again, for a landing.

Not so hard, you say? Well - here's the biggie rule:

You Must Release Your Tow Rope at 9,000 feet ASL (make sure your altimeter is set correctly before departure).

Yup, you release at the same altitude as Granite Peak. Time to get working the thermals and ridges. The desert flying will provide one challenge of finding thermals, the ridges either along the east or the range at Granite Peak will require working the ridge lift (hmmm - hope the wind is favourable) and then there is the matter of approach, descent and correct landing on the correct runway (left runway) at BRC. All in all, a fitting challenge for you bunch of elite fliers!

Enjoy! Would sure love to hear about your adventures or see a pic or two.

Cheers and see you next week for Day 3!

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

November 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rhinosaurus

Isnt left landing and right rise up? Or am I misreading something?

November 15, 2016 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Text fixed, thanks!

Cheers,

bc

--

November 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rhinosaurus

No problem!

November 15, 2016 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RocLobster

My Day Two challenges (click to enlarge)...

PART ONE: Drove five friends "around the block" in a borrowed Beech Duke ...nice plane, but the lack of visibility out of the cockpit is painful to experience in such a busy airspace...

PART TWO: I'm sailing away! Getting to 1A8 Empire was pretty easy, since we got towed nearly two-thirds of the way there.

Forty-plus Knot winds aloft provided plenty of go-go toward Granite Peak, allowing us to skim easily over with 1,000 feet to spare.

Heading back to Black Rock, we dumped our height for speed, then dumped our speed to enter the ultra-light pattern...

Over-ran the runway (the typical outcome of my sailplane landings), but we couldn't stop grinning and giggling over this exciting flight...

November 19, 2016 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

SAweet Rocky! Nice when you have the wind for it - that's what's so great about Real Metar - what works one day well can be a grueling journey another day!

I did comment at the Org that the clockwise was the one to do for this - the other way had me struggling mightily for height before Granite Peak.

Cheers, and thanks for the post :)

bc

--

November 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gofigure

Day two tour & glider test both successful.

--

November 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Good work gofigure. Hey, that 'Bou is quite the 'fightseeing' GA aircraft eh? :lol:  :lol:

--

November 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

Well I've been having so much fun I haven't been able to post my pictures from our scenic tour. I took up a Bell 206 with 4 passengers. We did a wide pattern around the pentagon for the first round and went around again getting as close as we could. It sure is a beautiful sight from the air.

Our flight path courtesty of ForeFlight

2 min after departure begining the tour at point 1 of the pentagon.

Point 2

And now almost through with the first run around the scenic route at point 3 8)

If you can see through both windows trying to ignor the devider, I captured a wonderful view of the city at point 4 of the pentagon and and while passing over the field entering the 2nd circut I took a birds eye view of the runway and parking.

Here is a much better shot of Black Rock City and airport while approching the 3rd point on the pentagon in the last circut of the scenic route before landing.

Razorback Moutain in all its glory. Trying not to get "cut" while skimming the top. :mad:

Almost on the ground in the flare phase of the landing. Landed safely, what a fun time and all the passengers gave me a free meal. :)

Hey gofigure are one of those eggbeaters yours just off my right? Or all of them. lol :D

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

December 4, 2016 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Nice work NDN. Your scenic tour in screenshots is great!

Cheers,

bc

--

December 4, 2016 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

Now for the glider flight I did after a winderful lunch of bbq and rolls. mmm

Time for departure in the ASK let's see how it goes.

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

December 4, 2016 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

Well the glider flight didn't happen due to the tow plane having some issues.

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

December 5, 2016 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.