uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Bush / Coastdog Adventures and More!

Forums

Forum Home > 2016 Vacation - Burning Man > Day 1 Vacation 2016

bc
Site Owner

Introduction:

Hiya Pilots. Well, the first thing that you have to do is get from your home base down to Burning Man. Unless you already have, in which case see Part 2 following Part 1 below.

Part 1:

Depending on where you are located in the X-Plane world, you might choose a direct, commercial jet, flight or a series of legs in a general aviation craft, the likes of which fly into 88NV (Burning Man) during the event.

The closest large airport to 88NV Black Rock City is KRNO, Reno/Tahoe in Nevada, about 90 nm. to the south of 88NV. That should serve you if you prefer to fly a tubeliner down and then grab a rnetal Cessna or what-have-you for the last leg into Black Rock.

If however you wish to "leg" it down, we who fly the NightFlight missions here in our site, departed from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island in Canada and made our way down in a series of 5 legs, each of which took about 90 minutes in our GA aircraft - mostly twins, at an average speed of about 130 knots.

Here are the specific SkyVector links for the flight planning for each of these legs if you like.

Burning Man Flight Plans

Detailed Leg 1 (NF #1)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=49.926706497155585,-125.67187418711598&chart=301&zoom=6&fpl=%20CYZT%205020N12526W%20YCD%20CZBB

Detailed Leg 2 (NF #2)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=45.71906570517717,-122.20488194773496&chart=301&zoom=3&fpl=%20CZBB%20undefined%20KTTD

Detailed Leg 3 (NF #3)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=44.84963667448138,-121.63381260325184&chart=301&zoom=5&fpl=%20KTTD%20undefined%20KBDN

Detailed Leg 4 (NF #4)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=43.19374854756033,-122.02587803880631&chart=301&zoom=6&fpl=%20KBDN%204257N12206W%20KLMT

Detailed Leg 5 (NF #5)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=40.71795130760769,-121.12558505658407&chart=301&zoom=7&fpl=%20KLMT%20undefined%20KRNO

Detailed Leg 6 (NF #6) - Final

https://skyvector.com/?ll=40.172715932255684,-119.02060455633458&chart=301&zoom=4&fpl=%20KRNO%201A8%204039N11921W%204044N11912W%2088NV

Enjoy your flight down and remember to take some time for Part 2 below as well. Please remember that this Day 1 of the Vacation, along with Day 2 being released tomorrow (the 14th of November) can take you the whole week, so don't worry about the time. You'll get it done when you get it done.

Part 2:

Inside your download folder ( Black Rock City 88NV Version(x) ) you will see another folder named "Maps_Docs". Inside this folder, along with a couple of chart snippets, is a video named "2016 BM Airspace Tour". This is a vital file and necessary to properly simulate the flying in and around Black Rock City during the Burning Man event.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it :P , is to study and make notes of that video and then attempt to fly an approach, a departure, and a test circuit of the city. You should do this with a slow GA aircraft, a fast GA aircraft and an ultralight, as all 3 have different rules associated with them.

More information, and a deeper understanding of the airfield and the rules (along with some really fun information) can be found at the following link:

http://airport.burningman.org/

So, in summary:

1. Get to 88NV Black Rock City Airport.

2. Watch the included video.

3. Attempt to understand and simulate an arrival and departure and circuit in a slow and fast GA aircraft as well as an ultralight.

Please feel extremely free :D to post your adventures with this, any screenies, or any discussion regarding the procedures right here in this thread.

Cheers,

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

November 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarvH

Having recently passed my amateur radio test for the "General" FCC license, I'm joining the vacation by flying my tricked out "Porsche" Beech F33 from my home airport (KPWA) to the Burning Man site.  About 433 miles. Wx has been perfect . 

Watched the video and will attempt (several times, I'm sure) the approved landing pattern for GA doing >100knts. 

Sheeeesh! Couldn't they make it a little more difficult? :P

--
Parachutes are like guns. If you don't have one when you need one, you'll probably never need one again.
November 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Congratulations Marv! You're now a bona fide "Sparky" :D

Hope you made it in to BRC okay. If you look carefully in the built-up section, you'll see a quick 'shack' we put up for any of us Epoch folks. There's cold bevvies in there of almost any flavour you choose. Food too. All 'gifted' by the EAA/EPA Board of Directors :D

Cheers,

bc

--

November 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

RocLobster

What a spectacle! Images below can be clicked to view large (>1 Mb) versions.

First flight, in the Skymaster approaching Gerlach. You can see that the railroad track wyes to the left and right, but does not appear to continue to the right.

Yet shortly after leaving Gerlach, a rearward view reveals the tracks reaching back to connect. Call it the first of many mysterious events to occur in the vicinity of the Black Rock Desert ...or just a glitch in X-Plane.

Having completed the faster-GA approach and landing, we're back up in the air to start a circuit of the Burning Man site. Here's the view at 5000 feet from Point 3 of the Pentagon.

I spotted some interesting debris during the Frog Pond approach pattern near Old Razorback Mountain. I won't reveal it just now, in case it is the subject of a future challenge.

Second flight, in the Aero Boero AB-115 over Gerlach reproduced the same visual behavior of the railroad tracks beyond Gerlach as before.

One moment the railroad track is missing, the next it's there...

The view from Point 3...

Short Final onto 26 Left...

Another Burner Bird comes home...

Third flight, in the Slipstream Genesis, shortly after takeoff from the ultralight strip and heading for Point 1...

Spotted several interesting objects, one cluster on the ground and a kite in the sky near Point 2.

What a spectacle! Oh wait, I wrote that already. NVM.

P.S. Congratulations on your accomplishment, MarvH.

Nice plane too. Is that Porsche engine in the back?

November 14, 2016 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Nice work Rocky, and Thank You ;)

Cheers,

bc

--

November 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarvH

@ Rock: Thank you, sir!  Was good for the old neurons to have to learn something brand new, and make it stick!

No, the engine isn't even Porsche, just the paint! But they did charge me twice as much for the logo! :/

@bc: And thanks for the "shack-build" at 88NV!  Great scenery as always! 8)

--
Parachutes are like guns. If you don't have one when you need one, you'll probably never need one again.
November 15, 2016 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SL2992

Day 1 - albeit two days late already!

An excellent initiative -bc-, thank you and well done!

Although I am already two days late, I intend to make up for lost time. Today I finally completed my journey across Oregon and California, almost 8 months after commencing at Jasper Ridge (36OR)! So I flew from Dinsmore (D63) to Shelter Cove (0Q5) in the Cessna-152, culminating approximately 500nm of hand flying across the two states.

Time permitting, I aim to fly my next leg: the first leg to Burning Man, from Shelter Cove to Redding Municipal (KRDD), where my Eclipse-550 is ready. From there, I intend to fly to Reno (KRNO), where I will take my Mitsubishi MU-2 northeast to Black Rock City (88NV). That's a lot of mileage to cover in about 24 hours, plus flight planning (check!), familiarity with Black City's complex but logical approach patterns (check!), and two aircraft changes.

Departing Dinsmore - 430nm to Burning Man!

Arriving runway 12 Shelter Cove - finally!

I've also posted in the X-Plane.org thread here, in keeping with the vacation. Save some of the festival for me!

November 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

@SL2992: Not to worry mate - always lots of festival for an avid pilot such as yourself!

Thanks for the great screenies. Reminds me how much I like to get home after a business trip so I too can fly (not as a crammed-in pax in the beaten old Metroliner I bounced and prayed in all the way to Thunder Bay :( in).

Cheers,

bc

--

November 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SL2992

A fellow X-Planer and I flew Eclipse-550s and followed the RWY34 RNAV X down through some scattered cloud. We are just one leg away from Burning Man.

First I flew from Shelter Cove to Redding (KRDD).

Then we flew from Redding to Reno (KRNO).

Good screenshots above, with some interesting liveries. Also good to see people taking the challenge of getting in to/out of Black Rock City!

November 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melrik "Bush Beaver" Birch

MarvH at November 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Having recently passed my amateur radio test for the "General" FCC license, I'm joining the vacation by flying my tricked out "Porsche" Beech F33 from my home airport (KPWA) to the Burning Man site.  About 433 miles. Wx has been perfect . 

Watched the video and will attempt (several times, I'm sure) the approved landing pattern for GA doing >100knts. 

Sheeeesh! Couldn't they make it a little more difficult? :P

Congratulations on your FCC Ham License. I earned my Extra in March. KD3SM is my current call sign. I am from Des Moines, which is KDSM for the airport and a local call sign for a tv station. But, now that I have moved to Jackson, TN I'll have to apply for something more appropriate. Course, I don't own but a 2M radio anyway, so not worth worrying about till I get my shack up.

--

November 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nicotum

Finally I found the time to upload some photos of my day 1 flight.

A few samples and more to follow.. ;-)

Thank you bc for giving us the opportunity to share this wonderful experience. ;)

--

Nicola

November 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

@SL2992: Yes sir, I've been following the posts you guys were making at the Org as I can get them on my phone's email with ease. Great work and sounded like a lot of fun.

@Nicotum: Glad you are enjoying it sir. Great screenies :)

Cheers,

bc

--

November 17, 2016 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SL2992

Indeed bc, we've had a lot of fun. In my excitement, I forgot to post my final leg to Burning Man:

Two fellow pilots from the .org made a wonderful formation flight from Reno (KRNO). I flew the Mitsubishi MU-2, in glorious 'corporate' livery for quick identification ("red cow on base leg runway 26").

One of the fellow pilots provided excellent orthoimagery for the entire regiob - kudos to him! The flat light effect was brilliant in the shimmering heat haze.

Pyramid Lake ahead, our first landmark:

After following the rail tracks via Gerlach (keeping south to meet speed restrictions - I read the book!), we flew the scenic pattern before exiting at point 3, descending around Razorback Mountain and aligning with runway 26 via the conventional left pattern:

Finally, parked. Although, we did not see the 'Grand Tour' crew:

We may encourage other x-planers, especially those from the regular fly-ins, to make a grand tour of our own. Now, day 3!

November 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Nice going SL2992. Man, that MU-2 must be quite a handful whilst trying to keep to the scenic pattern. Geesh, it idles faster than pattern speed :lol:

Day 3 posted and up... Good Luck :D

Cheers,

bc

--

November 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SL2992

Absolutely, it was like a sphere balanced on top of another sphere, inside an oily tray with hot burning fat swaying all over the place, whilst strapped carelessly to a car's roof rack driving downhill at 100mph, haha! It was fast.

But, it made me a better pilot. The autopilot helped, but its strong right roll tendency on final made for a huge challenge whlst touch-typing "short final", "landing roll", "clear runway 26". For a big cow, it's a majestic aircraft and gets practically everywhere. :)

November 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Hehe. You out-adjective'd, out-simile'd me - gotta be a prize for that :P

Hey, I just got the "cow" reference... it's a Mooo :lol: Funny guy!

Cheers,

bc

--

November 20, 2016 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

Since I am a few days behind for the vacation, due to real world events, I decided to go fast this trip. I borrowed my friends F-4 to get me from PABE to Kodiak PADQ where I board Air Canada 2415 and fly as the first officer to CYZT. I am going to enjoy it. While on the way to Kodiak I caught some great pictures of the bay and Alaska's glorious mountain peaks.

Preparing for departure at the HUB in the Phearce Phantom

My adventure at FL230 the mountains were magnificent as well as the water.

The beautiful bay

I am not sure if this is actually a real crater or if the volcano is real, but I love taking pictures of crater lakes. If I get a chance to visit Alaska I will definatly love to go see some of them, and I can't forget the glacier. Nice cool water. :P

I took this picture to show where I was on the Alaskan coast, a beautiful sight. Infact probably one of thousands or maybe millions of the states most beautiful shores.

And now it's time to prepare for landing. A Final approach for runway 09 at Kodiak Airport where our Canadian Air flight awaits it's first officer. Hey the best place to dream and make belive your actually in 737 cockpit, so for me I make the most of it. 8)

Ahh on the ground at last. Well here is the F-4's resting place till after the 3rd when I will be returning from the Nevada desert back to the cold tundra of Bethel - PABE. :)

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

November 28, 2016 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

Forgot to get a screenshot, but I am 6 more legs closer to the Burning Man Event or also 88NV as I am parked at CYZT and ready for the next departure as I take to the skies in my Bonanza headed for the next airport. Also another added treat I was able to get permission from the Canadian Air to put my GoPro cameras on the plane in order to capture some sights, especially since we would be leaving at sunset. Here are some great shots that my camera captured. ENJOY and I will see you all at the Burning Man.

Caught a shot of the tubeliner before departure. I had a blast flying right seat.

The excelent shots I captured including the beautiful sunset, hope you all enjoy.

Here are the night shots GoPro picked up.

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

November 28, 2016 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NDNFlyer

After a long day of travel its time to go to sleep in my cozy hotel a few miles from the airport. Have a good night all!

Here is the lovely place I am staying and the service is fanominal. I would highly suggest it as you are heading back after vacation.

My wonderful room.

--

The P-51 an EPOCH bird.

November 28, 2016 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RocLobster

Great posts, NDN!  Keep them coming.

November 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.