uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Bush / Coastdog Adventures and More!

Forums

Forum Home > Special Events > Wisconsin to Beaver Creek: Cicada Delivery Flight

Altair43

This Sunday I will be starting the delivery flight of the Cicada Mark III for E. P. I. C. from the Tranquility Aircraft facility in Crivitz, Wisconsin to the Epoch hub at Beaver Creek. The route is as follows: 3D1-KSUW-CYWG-CYQR-CYBW-CYKA-CYBD-PAKT-PAJN-CYXY-CYXQ (SkyVector).

I'll be making the flight in X-Plane 10.25 64-bit on X-Flightserver and hopefully TS3. I will use visual navigation only, as the Cicada lacks ADF, GPS, or nav radios (or indeed anything at all besides basic day/night VFR equipment). I'll use SkyVector for sectional charts; I won't be using the Local Map or the Flightserver map for navigation--please don't post any information regarding my position while I'm in the air! I will have random failures on 50,000 (although I reserve the right to reset them if I get something silly). I will not be using autopilot. 

I'll be leaving Crivitz this Sunday the 3rd around 1400z and (depending on the weather) arriving in Beaver Creek on about Wednesday the 13th. Updates will be posted here as well as in this thread at .org

TH

--
November 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirob

Altair43, sounds like quite an adventure.  You mention TS3, are you refering to the server that EPOCH uses or some other one?

Do you mind if we join you on some of the legs of your journey? or is it strictly Solo.  A CSL file would allow some screenshots of your flight.

Enjoy, Dirob

November 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

A reminder to all...

Daylight Savings Time ends at 0200 Sunday morning.

This means that TH is leaving Crivitz around...

0900 Eastern - 0700 Mountain - 0600 Pacific - 0500 Alaskan.

Let's try to jump onto TS, even if just for a minute or two, to wish him a safe flight, sometime after his start time (or right at it and wave goodbye :P ).

Good flying TH. I shall be following very closely. If you need help getting TS going, Dirob, gofigure then myself might be the chain to work through. Dirob is our main comms guy though for sure.

Cheers, and Thank You :D

bc

November 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Thanks!

Dirob, I do mean the Epoch server. I just need to get TS3 downloaded, up & running, then I'll send you a PM about server access. Tomorrow, probably. 

By all means, I'd love to have you guys along, that's why I'm flying online! There is an old CSL of the Cicada Mk. I available here at .org. I will make a better one of the Mk. III if time permits. 

TH

--
November 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

OK, got TS3 set up & working now (thanks Dirob) so I WILL be on tomorrow morning around 1400z for departure. The first leg should be an easy one, under 200nm across northern Wisconsin to Duluth. 

TH

November 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zymurg

WOW, impressive journey TH,  I'll be watching for you on TeamSpeak.  Best of luck and have a great journey.

November 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirob

Just incase someone needs the x-flightserver map viewer, here it is.

Altair43 is online as I type.

http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

Dirob

November 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Hmmm - he's ATPing with a 733 heh.

Well, might as well catch his 40 winks in the tube before he starts the hands-on stuff with the Cicada :D

bc

November 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Yep, that's what I mean when I say I'm "taking a commercial flight." I almost never teleport.

TH

November 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zymurg

WOW am I impressed!  I stopped by the Resort and already crowds are gathering to greet Altair43 and the Cecida when he arrives! This should be an exciting event.

November 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Very nice! Hopefully they won't be disappointed. Took the Mark III on its first flight just now, no issues. All in order for departure 1400z tomorrow if weather is fair. 

TH

November 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Fred, you continue to amaze me :)

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

November 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dirob

Dittos Joel,

November 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

First leg today: Crivitz to Duluth. All in order--will be signing on in fifteen minutes. 

TH

--
November 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jetjerry

Great talking to you TH.

Have a nice trip over all that tall granite.  Be safe.

--

"Keep the Dirty Side Down"

November 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Following you on the net. That is some impressive dead reckoning sir.

120 knot cruise. Everywhere from 2,500 to 8,000 feet. Looks like the Cicada is a fine craft in the hands of a good pilot :)

Good luck. Got your six,

bc

November 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

He made it down!

Altair43 had his dead reckoning down pat and was always within a mile of his reported position.

I'd fly across an ocean with him for sure :P

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

November 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Thanks for the vote of confidence BC--great talking to all you guys on TS for the first time, it was a fun flight!

In at 1625z, burned 8.8 gal in 2 hrs 15 mins. Took off from 36 1410z, low VFR out of Crivitz for the first hour or so, then climbed to 8500 on top of clouds (barely legal VFR, only just able to see the ground) rest of the flight, weather cleared around south shore of L. Superior, followed the coast rest of the way to Duluth, landed on 03. Weather fair, no issues. 

Screenshots posted at .org. Planning another leg today, next stop Winnipeg, will sign back on around 1900z. 

TH

--
November 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Getting ready to start the next leg, Duluth to Winnipeg. Spent $49.28 to refill the tanks at KSUW. Estimated fuel burn for this flight is 13 gal, leaving 3 gal reserve (54 min flying time), but I hope to come in under those figures by flying slower on this leg. If I have less than a quarter-tank remaining (about 4 gal) when I get to the border I will land at either KROX or KRRT to refuel.

Weather looks fair along the route, reporting clouds at 9-11,000 feet most of the way. This should be another relatively straightforward leg for visual navigation: there are plenty of large lakes along the route, and Winnipeg itself is on the Red River, which runs north-south and should be hard to miss.

I will be signing on to TS3 and X-Flightserver in about ten minutes.

TH

--
November 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

I'll be watching you :D

Good luck TH.

bc

November 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.