uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Bush / Coastdog Adventures and More!

Forums

Forum Home > Iditarod Dispatch Tent > Air - Air Comms (Chat)

bc
Site Owner

Everyone loves to share their adventure (we hope) and to that end, this is an open Chat for just that purpose. Imagine sitting around the Lounge at the end of a flight day, sipping on a [insert adult bevvie name here] and talking about what the day's flying looked like.

Here's where to let your inner poet/storyteller out, regaling us with your stories :)

This is also a great place to provide a weather/terrain report for your fellow pilots who may be working the same Dispatch as you.

Cheers,

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

March 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Coming Up...

--

March 2, 2018 at 10:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

HOLEY MOLEY!

gofigure goes ***W I L D*** with 13 (thirteen) Dispatches to get us all warmed up and some goods moved out on the trail.

Good thing sunrise doesn't happen until just before 8 or none of us would get any sleep :lol:

Way to go, gofigure. You Rock!!!

Cheers,

bc

--

March 2, 2018 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

That's a boatload of hops for us to get started with for sure. Thanks gofigure :)

This year I'm going all x-plane version 9.7. It's got winter world but no real wx so I will try to approximate. Looking to do some heavy hauls in my LES DC3 which I've tweaked to keep working in v9. Will be interesting to see which other aircraft in my old stable still does or does not work. Imagine I'll miss quick looks and spiffy Garmins.

Kick the tires and light the fires, first one in the air is the leader!

:)

--

March 3, 2018 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gofigure

ottopilot9, I believe you only post your (after) flight in the Pirep section, no need to post any pre-flights.

Also, please no posting in the dispatch sections. Thanks

--

March 3, 2018 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

OK, little rusty here :(

--

March 3, 2018 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

I just finished the first popup and went to post the pirep and see Alaska dad has also done it. This is why I think it would be good to have a section for announcing what were doing. Right now I feel like I wasted an hour of my time. If I'd known he was doing it I would have grabbed the Beaver Creek DC3 ferry. Just a thought. Not impuning the huge amount of work that you put into this but at least for me I don't want to do something that's already been done.

--

March 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Haha. Opie beats me to the Version.

This morning I loaded winterworld textures into V9.7 as well as prefs and then made a side by side comparison of a few locations as well as weather/clouds using V10 @ 60% puffs, HDR yada yada and then found and reloaded the XLife improvements for V9.7 and compared all that too.

Got real nostalgia-like so took the V9 Husky, where I had already modded the livery, and now I too will fly the Iditarod this year in full blown V9. Winterworld still looks amazing, even though overall ground textures are less enticing in V9. I do love the clouds and of course, the higher fidelity world model.

Cheers,

bc

--

March 3, 2018 at 2:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gofigure

ottopilot9 wrote:

I just finished the first popup and went to post the pirep and see Alaska dad has also done it. This is why I think it would be good to have a section for announcing what were doing. Right now I feel like I wasted an hour of my time. If I'd known he was doing it I would have grabbed the Beaver Creek DC3 ferry. Just a thought. Not impuning the huge amount of work that you put into this but at least for me I don't want to do something that's already been done.

ottopilot9, anyone can run any dispatch, but must be an EPOCH member to post pirep. I guess you need to fly and post the pirep before others. Maybe we can have multiple pireps for same dispatch or have a section to post the dispatch prior to someone flying it. Personally I think multiple pireps, same dispatch since it isn't a contest but, is only bragging rights.

I'll leave the decision making up to bc.

--

March 3, 2018 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

Don't worry about it. I'm running a 3 down to Merril from the creek.

--

March 3, 2018 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

@gofigure:

I have a few ideas that I would like to run by you. Maybe we can chat about it during our flight tonight. My one idea is simple and would not detract from multiple uses of a Dispatch, so if you agree tonight I will implement the necessary patch tommorow morning.

@ ottopilot9:

Hey, no need to be without Real Metar. Even if you just have a demo of V10 handy on your machine, you can launch it, make sure it's downloading the metar and then when done, just transfer the Metar file directly to the root folder of V9. Complete compatibility, although if your flight persists beyond one hour then the weather might change a bit over what you are using. This method however is great, and I use it whenever I decide to bring V9 back to life for a flight for old-times sake :)

Cheers,

bc

--

March 3, 2018 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Opie... don't know if you have the Yenta/Skwentna River package that Zymurg and I did for V9, but it sure adds to the immersion and is a great landmark when you're coming back east from the range. Here it is if you don't:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/22775-v9-skwentnayentna-rivers/

Note: Not for V10/11

Cheers,

bc

--

March 3, 2018 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

Thanks for the link BC. I'll also try that tip about using v10 metar file.

--

March 4, 2018 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

You're welcome Opie :)

NOTE:

For those who are interested, there is a new "Immersion Plus" feature for this Iditarod.

Please see the NEWS Page under 'Experience' for the link to the simple yet rewarding process.

Cheers, and Happy Iditarodding!

bc

--

March 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

Gofigure continues to crank out the dispatches. Thank you for all the hops. Was this announced at the org, I didn't see it if it was.

--

March 7, 2018 at 7:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gofigure

opie, you're welcome. Really glad you and others are enjoying the Iditarod and hopefully following the actual race.

The Idit package is not offered to the xp org and at this time I'm not sure why. Maybe it is the extra hits on the site bogs it down and it struggles anyway with the daily use????

--

March 8, 2018 at 8:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

I certainly am enjoying it. My all time favorite x-plane activity. I started having some problems with xp-9. Started my current flight this morning and it suddenly wouldn't recognize my flight controls. So I'm moving to xp-10 for today. Symlinked in the idit scenery and airplanes will see how it goes. I redownloaded the scenery pack from the org to make sure I had the most current. I couldn't find the scenes for yesterdays popup so maybe my stuff was a little out of date.

--

March 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gofigure

Most current scenery IS NOT at the xp-org. the scenery there is last year's 2017 and will not have the Dog Sled Team & Bison on the trail or Man & Snow Machine on ice covered lake, all out of Rohn.

Scenery link here and you will need to use your e-mail address and have or make a password. This is how bc(joel) is doing it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvuR5GhL2Hjzgk4W1WeXhuniFSkU

--

March 8, 2018 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

Thanks. I really am rusty.

--

March 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ottopilot9

Forum software is being a little flakey today for me. Anyone else?

--

March 8, 2018 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.