uneX-Planedapps.com 

X-PlaneTM Desktop Flight Simulator Bush / Coastdog Adventures and More!

Forums

Forum Home > Special Events > Pacific Rim tour

Altair43

This Sunday (the 17th) I will be starting a flight from Beaver Creek to New Zealand and return in connection with the Epoch New Zealand vacation. The flight as planned is 25,500 nautical miles in sixty-one legs, completing a circumnavigation of the Pacific Rim via the Aleutians, Russia, Japan, Taiwan, the Phillipines, Indonesia, Australia, the South Pacific islands, and the west coast of the Americas, with a four-leg round-trip detour to New Zealand itself for the vacation. 

This amphibious Cessna 185, N43BC, is the aircraft I will be using for the flight. It will be fitted with extra ferry tanks in New Zealand to accomodate the crossing of the South Pacific (which includes two legs well beyond its unmodified range). 

I'm anticipating making most of the flight IFR, as experience from the Cicada flight suggests that XP10, while better than XP9, is still seriously inadequate for realistic VFR flight. The aircraft has nav radios, ADF, and a basic autopilot, but no GPS. As before, I will be using SkyVector for sectional and enroute charts, and avoiding using the Flightserver or Local Maps. 

I won't be maintaining a seperate thread at .org this time (there was virtually no interest there in the Cicada flight), so all discussion of the flight should remain here. I will, however, be posting screenshots occasionally in the "What Plane Did You Fly Today" thread. 

I will be flying on X-Flightserver and signed on to the Epoch TS3 server, as usual, and posting reports to this thread after each leg. 

TH

--
November 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

My, such a short flight? :lol: :lol: :lol:

With you all the way and looking forward to seeing you off in style. This is no small feat your are about to attempt and I wish you the fairest of weather and lots of coffee and toothpicks to keep the eyes open.

Good stuff TH. You are "da long-range man" for sure :)

bc

--

6 strings, 9 cylinders, 2 Manx cats: Life's Good!

November 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

REMINDER

Calling All Pilots!

Although we are unsure of what time Altair43 will be able to depart Beaver Creek tomorrow, let's all try to keep an eye and wish him the best as he fades into the western sky, not to be seen again until we meet up with him in New Zealand when we head down on vacation. Remember, he will be on TeamSpeak as well, so let's give him a famous EPOCH Alaska Air send-off.

bc

--

November 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zymurg

Absolutely bc!  Altair best of luck on your marathon flight and I will try to follow as much as I can, although starting mid-week I will be 'out of pocket' much of your flight until New Zealand. I look forward to your status/updates.

November 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

All set for first leg, Beaver Creek to PALH Lake Hood, 269nm. The aircraft (now christened Starlight) is loaded, fueled & ready for departure from the floatplane dock at UXBC. Payload for the flight is one pilot (145 lb) + baggage (30 lb) + misc. equipment (75 lb) for a total of 250 lb. 

Signing on in a few minutes.

TH

--
November 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

30 lbs. just barely covers rootbeer TH. Whew!

Well, a good brunch served by the resort staff and off you go, happy and full.

Favourable skies for the Starlight :)

bc

--

November 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaskadad

Don't forget to stop in Northway to clear customs.

--

"Keep the Pointy End Forward and Sunny Side Up"

November 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Actually, if I may be so bold, we had a customs officer actually attend at Beaver Creek (oh yes, we paid dearly) so that all paperwork was clear and TH could travel unencumbered.

Hey, that's why they pay me the big bucks :D

bc

--

November 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

I'm pretty sure they have customs at Anchorage International…

TH

November 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Hah! It's Sunday - they don't even have sidewalks open in Anchorage :lol: :lol: :lol:

bc

November 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zymurg

They have sidewalks in Anchorage?

November 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

First leg in at 2132z (in spite of some XP issues), burned 25.4 gal in 3 hrs 4 mins, weather fair except for some turbulence around Gunsight Mtn., no issues. 

Next stop is PAJC (393nm); the weather looks fair so I think I will try to fit another leg in today (sunset there is at 0221z). Will sign back on in an hour or so.

TH

November 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Great flying and very good showing on fuel burn numbers.

Not to mention a fantastic screenshot.

Weather being good is beyond a bonus. Like we used to say back on the farm, "Best to make hay while the sun shines" :D

Cheers. I'm locked onto ths channel :)

bc

November 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Thanks BC! I think what I'll do is I'll post one screenshot per leg here & put the rest at .org. I'll put a link here whenever I post relevant screenshots over there. 

Refueled ($160.02, I miss the Cicada already) & getting ready to start the next leg. Will sign on in a few minutes.

TH

--
November 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Oh, there will be a time methinks when you won't miss the Cicada quite so much :P

Going on the server to watch - can't TS 'cause too many things at same time (a me problem not computer :lol: )

bc

--

November 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

I notice that you've been flying under 5,000 feet.

Is it because of cloud cover, of just liking the view :)

bc

--

November 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

No specific reason (mostly clear skies so far), but in general I prefer to fly lower rather than higher in unpressurized aircraft.

TH

November 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Hmmm... I've always prefered the euphoria of 15,000 feet :lol:

bc

November 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bc
Site Owner

Well, I know TH is down, because he dropped off of the flight follow map.

Hopefully safely :o

bc

November 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Altair43

Second leg in 0229z, 30.7 gal in 3 hrs 49 mins, weather fair, no issues. 

TH

November 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.